Friday, October 8, 2010

*♥*Tips for Treating the Common Cold *♥*

[Currently listening to the first episode of 会長はメイド様! (Kaichou wa Maid-sama)]

Good morning everyone :)

I think I'm getting over my cold more quickly than I thought - usually it would take me a couple of weeks to get over :( In the last year, however, I've learned a few tips that I'd like to share with you all:

-Drink plenty of water/liquids, especially if it's hot :)
I've been drinking plenty of water in the last few days so that I won't get dehydrated. Orange juice or having something that's high in Vitamin B and C will help to boost your immune system; I've done this by buying a Stress Defender smoothie from Tropical Smoothie Cafe - the ingredients are oranges, orange juice, yogurt and a Vitamin C immune complex. Hot tea with honey and lemon is a great way for me soothe my throat and it temporarily relieves me of a stuffy nose. I've also learned from a co-worker of mine that drinking ginger ale during the time that you're coughing will not only relieve your throat from coughing, but the properties of ginger will help break down the mucus slowly but surely. :) Thanks Philip!
-Gotta cough it all out...
At the current stage of my cold, I'm now to the point where I'm coughing - it's a sign that I have to somehow hack all that gunk out of my throat. Now you're probably wondering why I have to do this... I know it sounds gross and all, but you have to do this because not only does it feel gross in your throat but also... If all that stuff stays in there even after you feel better from your cold, it's more than likely that you'd get sick again because that "stuff" can catch whatever germs might be floating around in the air around you.
-Take a hot shower/bath
Just like the effects of drinking hot fluids, the steam from taking a hot shower/bath will help relieve you from nasal congestion :)
-Blow your nose often... and gently.
It's important that you blow out all that stuff out of your nose so that it will not build up; I'm sure you wouldn't like the feeling of a stuffy nose either. (Personally, I'd like to be able to catch the smell and taste of what I'm eating, thanks!) Be careful as you're blowing your nose though. A couple of times I have sneezed so hard that my nose started bleeding... I didn't mean to, but you gotta be nice to your nose even though it's giving you a hard time.
-Exercise
Not too much though - you don't want to wear yourself out. I like to do some stretching or work on the Ab-Ripper X workout to keep my blood going.
-Gargle
I kill off all the germs in my mouth by gurgling a mouthwash that kills off bacteria and germs. If mouthwash is too harsh for your mouth, try with salty water (I know it'll taste gross but both work the same way).

And most of all, don't forget to do what I've been doing:
-Rest, rest, REST!
Give your body a break and time so that it'll focus on getting better. If you work at a place that may seem physically stressful (like mine), slow down and relax - you will be able to focus on your work with better accuracy and your body will not tire out as quickly. With plenty of power naps or even sleeping earlier and longer, it will allow your body to focus on building its immune system and help you get better sooner.
Remember - the best way to prevent you or anyone else from getting sick is to WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN. Lather the soap in your hands and rinse them in warm water for 20 seconds. Why? You may not realize it but your hands have a lot of bacteria in them. When was the last time you washed your hands today? How many things have you touched?
Hand sanitizers work great, but you also may not realize that the alcohol in it may damage your hands and cause pH imbalance in the skin. Washing your hands is your best bet over anti-bacterial gels.
Keep your hands away from your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth - you can spread germs onto yourself or others this way.
And don't forget! It's the flu season, so it's important to get immunized! I'll be getting my vaccine next week.

So if you are not feeling well right now, or need some tips to prevent yourself from getting sick, I hope my guide helps. This compilation came from personal experiences and tips from my friends - friends help friends to not get the cold/flu!

Be well everyone, and cheers to your health!

With love,

~Reiko (^0^)/ xoxo ♥

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

You know, I've been looking around everywhere for that clear glass tea cup! I think it's so cute! Starbucks had some several years back I wish I would have gotten them.

The search continues!

I hope you feel better ^_^

xSimply Reikox said...

I love the clear teacups! I think they look so simple but pretty :) I liked the little glass teacups that I had when I went to the tea and crepe shop with my boyfriend - one day I'd like to own stuff like that XD

Thank you for the well wishes - I'm feeling better by the day! :)

m0chiii said...

great tips.. i drink lots of water and sleep tons when i get sick.. and salt water too. haha. its a habit learned from my mom.