Monday, January 4, 2010

☆ A little bit about my job! :) ☆

Hey, all you beautiful people :) How's everyone doing? I hope you had a great day today. I know I did! :) *thumbs up!*

Okay, now for the topic of the day...

Well, let's talk about... Working with the elderly.

...I know, you're probably raising your eyebrow and thinking, "...okay, what the hell?" Allow me to explain:

I may have mentioned this in one of my past entries, but in case I didn't, I work in a retirement home where I serve food and make beverages for the residents who live there (cuz I'm a bartender!). It was my very first job at 16, and I will admit... Out of all the jobs I've worked thus far, this one's my favorite. I wanted to work with people as well as food, so waitressing was naturally my first choice of work at the time. My mom, who happens to work at the same place as I do (but as a housekeeper), was the one who referred me to this facility, and said that this is a great place to start. I've grown to love working in this place, and today, I want to share my experiences and some advice if you happen to work or live with the elderly. (This goes to any of my co-workers who happen to be reading this entry too!)

At first it was not as easy as I thought it would be. It really does take a lot of patience and understanding in a job like this. Here are the top 4 things to remember when working or living with the elderly:

-Be their guiding eyes. As we age, our senses - sight, smell, taste, hearing, and touch - grow weak, and it's frustrating when we are unable to use one or more of them. Many of the residents that I serve have can't hear or see very well, so it's very important to help them out and become part of their senses too. What exactly do I mean by that? If they can't see very well, guide them with words and gestures. If they can't hear very well and need things repeated to them, don't get frustrated! Believe me, it has taken me a very long time to be able to accomplish this, and even though there are times when I do get a little frustrated, I think of it like this: One of these days, I'll be like that too - how well would I like to be treated?

-We can be forgetful too. Parts of our memory deteriorate over time as well, and I understand what it's like to not be able to remember certain things during a short or long period of time. For example, if a resident initially orders a hamburger, you order it and then when you serve it to them, they say that they didn't order that ("I asked for a sandwich, not this.")? Stay calm, and put out reminders for them. Sometimes they'll forget what happened just a moment ago, and a reminder does help sometimes.

-Respect your elders! I'm serious about this one, you guys, because... It's true! A lot of the residents whom I see when I work there are very old-fashioned, and even if generations do clash from time to time, you still have to treat them with dignity and respect. "Yes sir, no sir" and "Yes ma'am, no ma'am" apply to this, as well as saying "Thank you" and "You're welcome". You'd be surprised with how many of them really do appreciate things like this. And did I mention to also smile? :)

-And lastly, my personal favorite: Listen to them! I'm not just talking about the things I mentioned a bit earlier, but listening to them as in... getting to know them as people. Sometimes it's hard to be able to have a good conversation with them, especially in the department I'm in. At first, there were so many residents that I served that I could only recognize them by their faces, but very few by name. Since my transfer to the newly constructed bar, I got to meet some new and old faces and over time, I learned a lot of people by name, a bit of their history and even got to meet some of their family members and friends who come to visit them. I've come to have a deeper relationship and appreciation for the residents whom I serve there over the years, and that's what makes my job very enjoyable.


I hope some of you, if not all, got something out of this because, again, we ALL, whether we like it or not, grow old. One day, you too will be walking around in a walker and can barely see or hear. Tell me... How would you want to be treated?

Believe me, patience is virtue.

All right, well, time for me to wrap this up. I've got a busy work schedule ahead of me and I need to get me some rest for it! Until then, everyone, be well! ...and did I forget to mention... SMILE! :)

Much love,
~Reiko xoxo <3

No comments: