Tuesday, February 2, 2010

☆Does It Work?! - Smooth Away and 5-Hour Energy ☆

[Currently listening to Britney Spears' "The Single Collection" in random, starting with "3" ]

All right, something new and interesting to share with you all! I’m starting a “Does It Work?!” series, where I find some interesting products, try them out, and review and share my results. In this entry, I’ll be sharing with you 2 products I just so happened to find today!

So before getting home earlier today, I stopped by a 7-11 close to where I live to pick up a snack. On my way to the snack aisles, I happened to come across a box on the front shelf for the product called “Smooth Away”. Perhaps you’ve seen the infomercial claiming that this product gently exfoliates your skin while “smoothing away” unwanted hairs anywhere on your body. Yes, I have seen the infomercial myself, and I too have wondered if it really does work. For some of the guys who may be reading this blog, in case you don’t know – most of us, the ladies, like the feeling of having soft smooth legs, which is why we shave them. Now I don’t mind using razors, but I too have wondered if there are other ways of achieving this without the fear of using razor blades or waxing. Feeding to my curiosity, I decided to buy the pack and try it out for myself.

After picking up my snack, I realized that I’m going to have to find some way to keep me awake after finishing my blog entry so that I could work on my Art History homework assignments. I wasn’t in the mood for coffee; I needed something good that would help keep me up and focused. Then I decided to buy the 5-hour Energy drink in pomegranate flavor – the tiny bottle with the drink that supposedly works more effectively than coffee and without the crash. I’ve been wondering about this product for a while, so tonight, I’m going to try this out.

So there we have it! Our 2 products, Smooth Away and 5-hour Energy: Do They Work?!

I’m starting with opening the box for Smooth Away, and here are the contents:
-A light green travel bag
-1 large pink applicator (to put on your hand)
-1 small pink applicator (to put on your finger)
-A sheet manual
-Small pack of exfoliating pads



Upon seeing the products in the pack, and even before opening the pack itself, I had the feeling that I wasn’t going to like this, but I had to give this a try. After applying the small exfoliating pad with its corresponding applicator (which, by the way, are like stickers), I tested it out on my left hand. It does feel like very, very dull sandpaper which is good so that it doesn’t roughen up the skin; after doing 3 circular motions counter/clockwise as according to the manual, I felt no immediate reaction on my skin. So far so good – I’m not allergic to it! The sheet manual says to continue doing this to the area until all the hair has been removed, “smoothed away” rather, so I kept doing so until I noticed a difference on my hand – it felt nice and smooth, and the thickness of the hair on my hand (not that I had much to begin with anyway) had lessened from the exfoliating pad. So from what I could see, the small application worked out well.

Now for the bigger challenge: the large applicator for bigger areas. Unfortunately, I failed in attempting to make a “before” and “after” picture since my camera’s being lame, but I decided to test this applicator out on my left knee and part of my leg. Again, I used counter/clockwise motions and upon doing this, I saw that the hairs were basically being sanded away. The results: my knee and part of my leg felt smooth and soft and it did a very nice job in “smoothing away” the hairs without much irritation or bumpiness. It’s actually quite nice as opposed to having to deal with razor burns afterwards.

The pros: This product has proven itself to be a pain-free way to remove unwanted hairs. The exfoliating pad leaves the skin smooth and without leaving bumpiness on the skin.

The cons: Later on, I tried using the product on my upper lip, and again the hairs were removed and my skin feels very soft. Sadly, not all of the hair could be removed from this area due to the shape of the applicator; it could not reach the corners of my mouth no matter what I did, but since the hairs were close to the crease and were very light, I don’t think it would be that very noticeable.

Now, how long would the smoothness last? My prediction is that it will come back just as fast as it would if I were using the traditional razor. I’m going to wait a few days and see what happens, and I’ll let you all know the results when I do.

So… Does It Work?! YES

Would I buy this product again? Probably not. Yes, this product worked out well for me, but I don’t think I’d be using this very much. My Venus Soleil razor works just fine so I’m more than likely to be using the traditional stuff than this product after all.

If you have used this product before, or if you are interested and want to try this product for yourself, share your experiences with me in the comments section below. I know that there will be a lot of different opinions about this, and a lot of products are not for everyone. Oh, I should also say that the box says that it’s not recommended for diabetics so… Use at your own risk, and let me know!

I’m going to try the 5-Hour Energy drink now, and I’ll begin doing my reading and homework for Art History. I’ll post the overall results later on, so be sure to look for an updated entry for the blog.

I’m already feeling confident about this product, but I can’t go flying off the handle on it just yet. Upon looking at the bottle, it says that I should be feeling the energy within minutes of consumption and should last for hours. Hmm… We shall see about that, now won’t we? ;) The instructions on the bottle say to consume half the bottle for a moderate amount of energy or a whole bottle for the maximum strength. I’ll start off consuming half the bottle and see how this goes.

Stay tuned for the results!

xoxo,
~Reiko ☆*.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, so how did that 5 hour energy drink work? i'm curious!